Friday, July 17, 2009

Great American Artwork Award at NPS International Show

I was honored just to be juried into the Northwest Pastel Society's International Exhibit at American Art Company Gallery in Tacoma. It is a very strong show, beautifully hung at a lovely Gallery. I am so appreciative that my "Barley Cottage' piece won the Great American Artwork Award from juror, Greg Biolchini. The "cottage" is an original building in the Ebbey's Landing area on Whidbey Island. I used my plein air background to help me to capture the feeling of the evening light and the mood of the scene. I have been experimenting with using a textural underlay as part of my composition and intensifying my colors. I plan to explore this marriage of texture and pastels further. I have another textural pastel piece in the Peninsula Art League Summer Art Festival Show at Key Bank this weekend (July 18-19). It is a bit more abstract piece of lupine flowers (entitled Lupine Spires) and I had a lot of fun with the colors, and went back with hard pastels to draw and emphasize the flowers. I am still a dedicated Plein Air artist but I definitely think that the textural details will be part of my studio pastel pieces for the foreseeable future.
Anne Moore Knapp

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed seeing this painting in person, Anne. The Texture adds such an interesting element, and I love your color choices. Awesome painting, and well deserved award. Congradulations!

    I look forward to seeing your piece at Key Bank.

    ReplyDelete